The Guidelines for Online Proctoring use have been refined. Please review the Online Proctoring Alternatives below, and feel free to contact Digital Learning and OIA for additional resources and assistance in transitioning to more authentic forms of assessment.
For those who wish to begin or continue to use online proctoring we are offering two proctoring solutions Honorlock and Examity (please see below for the explanation on both). Online proctoring should only be used for high-stakes assessments such as midterms, finals or certification exams. We will limit the use of online proctoring to fully online courses. Face-to-face or hybrid courses should utilize in person exams or alternate form of assessments.
Proctored Exam Guidelines
All exams and courses with online proctoring components must follow these requirements:
- Request the use of online proctoring prior to the add/drop date of each semester. This varies depending on the course session.
- Limit the use of online proctoring to fully online courses ONLY such as Arizona Online and iCourses.
- Course should include the syllabus language, communicating to students regarding the use of online proctoring within the course.
- Course should provide students access to the privacy and technology requirements for the tool chosen.
- Exam availability must be set for a minimum of 48-hours for all proctored exams.
- Prepare alternative assessments for students without adequate technology, testing space, or internet capabilities.
Honrolock offers a hybrid solution between automated and live proctoring. The Auto Proctoring with Live Pop-In allows completely on demand exam sessions with an extra level of security. A.I. monitors exam sessions in the background and notifies proctors of suspicious activity. Proctors can then “pop-in” to exam session and provide real-time intervention or support.
If you would like to consider using Honrolock for your exams, please fill out the Honorlock Course Registration Form and a team member will reach out to schedule your Honorlock training and course activation.
Examity provides three levels of proctoring.
- Automated + Audit (Formerly known as automated Premium)
- Live Authentication + Audit (Formerly Known as Live Standard)
- Live Proctoring (Formerly Known as Live Premium)
Please Note: Because of the high cost of live proctoring, requests for Live Proctoring (Formerly Known as Live Premium) now require Department Chair approval. Requests are being approved only when absolutely necessary for exams, such as for certification exams, or on a very limited, case-by-case basis, for high-stakes assessments where students may benefit from experience with live proctoring as future credentialing will require it.
If you would like to consider using Examity for your exams, please fill out the Examity Course Registration Form and a team member will reach out to schedule your Examity training and course import.
Live proctoring requests now require Department Chair approval, which is granted on a limited case-by-case basis by submitting the Live Proctoring Request Form.
Online Proctoring Alternatives
Utilize D2L Tools (question pools, randomization, timed exams, etc)
Use date/time restrictions for exam access
Build assessments with complex, application, and reflective questions
Focus on building a Culture of Honesty
Build assessments that are scaffolded and lack a single “correct” answer.
Shift the culture of assessments in your course away from high-stakes assessments to one of assessments as learning.
Digital Learning & OIA Assessment Design Support
Digital Learning has Instructional Designers in Open Office Hours twice a week for assessment and course design support
- OIA has Professors of Practice available for consultations
If you have questions about online proctoring, please contact us at email@example.com